Monday, March 21, 2011

The Secret to Life


I first met Mike McGrath over five years ago during a cold and snowy evening at a home show. There was hardly a visitor in the building and even many of the other vendors had been smart enough not to come out and staff their booths during a storm. So, I was happy to have someone drop by to see my display and asked how he was enjoying the show. If you have ever listened to “You Bet Your Garden” you know that it only took a few words for me to recognize him as the radio show host! As there was hardly another customer there to worry about, we spent quite some time discussing landscape and gardening.

Several months later I reached out to Mike, former editor of Rodales’ Organic Gardening, as I was beginning my career in writing, to get his advice on a possible change in occupation. He graciously invited me to meet him at the WHYY studio in Philadelphia and grab a bite to eat. Over dim-sum I realized that Mikes’ advice was not only wildly entertaining, but also brutally honest. He basically told me that I was crazy to consider the move and shared horror stories of the editorial profession. Instead, he suggested I consider television…..an advancement I’m still working on! He read my work and said that the secret to communicating well is to “Write like you talk,” advice I still consider each time I sit down at the keyboard. We’ve stayed in touch over the years, occasionally getting together after one of his speaking engagements.

What I enjoy most about Mike is his approachability, not just to me; a new writer looking for some tips, but to all of his listeners. The advice he doles out each week on the radio is accessible in the way that it is easy for even new gardeners to comprehend. At the 2011 Bucks Beautiful Garden and Home show where he spoke, Mike stayed well over his allotted time until he had answered the questions of each fan who stood in line to meet him. Though he is extremely well connected and knowledgeable, with an impressive resume Mike McGrath is not a garden snob. He is always quick to assure new disciples of organic gardening that their past sins no longer matter. As he shared at the Bucks Beautiful seminar, “I am a realist, I practice the tenant of constant improvement. As long as you are making it better, go for it.” Now that is good advice we can all use!

Mikes Seven Secrets to Successful Organic Gardening

#1 – Build Raised Beds, less than four foot wide.
Fill with good organic soil, top with compost yearly. Don’t till, stirs up weed seeds

#2- Save your leaves, shred them for use as compost or mulch.
It’s natures’ fertilizer; “On the 8th day God didn’t create Miracle Gro”

#3 – Invite Insectivores
Toads: Provide a water source, such as a saucer on the ground and damp shady cover.
Birds: Offer suet in winter only, stop in spring when they have nested and will need insects.
Beneficial Insects: Don’t use pesticides

#4 – Invite Pollinators, many have beneficial larvae
Offer small compound flowers like yarrow, dill and fennel

#5 – Mulch to prevent weeds, don’t leave a good surface bare.

#6 – Water wisely, plants need water to survive, also need to dry out to build roots
Water deeply once a week, plants need one inch per week.

#7 – Have fun! “If you don’t enjoy it then take up wood-working!”

More information including details on his radio show, speaking engagements and books can be found online at: http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment