Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What's My Name?

I have a confession; there is no Martin Shaw - not as an individual person, not in this company anyways. Martin Shaw, LLC is my company. My name is Sharon Shaw, I am the owner, designer and a writer. I am the one who writes the blog, the newsletter and the facebook posts. Barry Martin is my lead project manager. Together we design and build landscape projects for our clients. If you call - we will speak with you, if you write - we will respond, if you hire Martin Shaw, LLC - we will be there; Martin and Shaw!

Why is it so important for me to share this with you? Because many companies misrepresent themselves online. I love the internet, how it allows me to reach people around the world; see what they are doing, show what I am doing, research and learn. Anyone with a connection can share their opinion, their ideas, their talent and be judged for it; those who are good will be rewarded, those who are not will be exposed and those on the fringes may find their niche. We want to be known as one of the good. Not everyone has to like us - but we have a niche with those of you who do (and perhaps a lively discussion with those of you who don't!) 

It is important, then, that our clients, readers and peers know who we really are; we believe in what we do, we represent ourselves truthfully and we deal with them honestly. I am happy to give credit to others, I appreciate the knowledge they have, the ideas and information they share. When I have enjoyed or learned something, my niche might too, so I may share it. If I post an article written by someone else I will include their name, their link and their publication wherever possible. If I post a video, album or photo, I include the source.  

Sounds reasonable, right? So why am I making such a point of it now? I recently saw work posted on another landscapers site that was not theirs. I know it wasn't theirs and know whose it is. The actual builder might not care in this case - but you should! Online, you could turn to this company for ideas, information or referral and you should know if the work they are showing you is actually their work. 

So, if the posts slow down - it is because we are busy, if you have a question - you can ask us, or a complaint - you can direct that to us too! If you need some work - you can call us and if you like our work - you can thank us...because at least you know who we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment